Risk & Finance Administrator
Date Posted : February 7, 2023
Due date: March 31, 2023
About Nightline Association
Nightlines provide an anonymous and confidential listening and information service, run by students for students at their university. They work to improve student mental health and wellbeing and are open at night when no other university welfare services are available. Nightline services now cover over 100 universities and colleges, or over 1.5 million students, across the UK thanks to an incredible team of over 2,500 trained student volunteers.
The Nightline Association is the registered charity that supports, promotes and develops Nightlines. Nightline Association is run entirely by volunteers, who get to play a hands-on operational and strategic role in the running of a national charity. By volunteering for the Nightline Association you will not only gain more awareness of the work of the Association and the charity sector, you will also gain transferable skills and make new friends.
Your primary responsibility is providing admin support for the Finance and Risk Management Committees including production of meeting papers, taking minutes and liaising with volunteers across the charity to review or follow up on actions.
You will sit within the Governance Team, whose role is to support good governance within the Nightline Association and support the Central Services department with the onboarding of new volunteers & Trustees.
There will also be the opportunity to support a number of key governance projects within the organisation, depending on your own availability and interest.
The Governance team is within the Central Service department, along with the Appointments, Finance and Volunteer Development teams. Your line manager will be the Governance Team Lead and you will also receive support from the Head of Central Services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead on providing admin support to your allocated Association meetings:
- Finance Committee (once a month, Thursday evenings online)
- Risk Management Committee (once every 3 months, Wednesday evening online)
- Take clear and detailed minutes of discussions at meetings including agreed actions and provide the Chair of the meeting with these minutes within an agreed timeframe.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality about matters discussed at meetings.
- Inform the chair of the meeting and Governance Team Lead as soon as possible if you will be unable to attend a meeting.
- In partnership with the Trustees, responsible for the maintenance of the charity’s legal register of members.
- Work on and support wider Governance projects and tasks as agreed with the Governance Team Lead.
- Respond to governance queries on behalf of the Association with support from Trustees.
- Opportunity to facilitate and support the delivery of sessions at Nightline conferences.
- Work with other teams to develop policies, templates and other resources for the Nightline Association and member Nightlines.
- Ability to summarise discussions concisely while including all necessary detail
- Self motivated, organised and able to work to agreed deadlines
- Able to work as part of a team
- Capable of remote working effectively
- Understanding of the need to maintain appropriate confidentiality
- Experience taking minutes of meetings
- Familiarity with Google Workspace
- Interest in Governance, Risk and Compliance
As a rough guide, we usually expect volunteers to commit to an average of 1-2 hours of volunteering per week. We always seek to promote a healthy balance with your other commitments, so volunteering can be flexible to suit your needs.
You are expected to attend online team meetings roughly once a month, and to keep up to date with your emails and messages on Slack. The Nightline Association also has three away days each year which you are encouraged to attend when you can.